It’s never too late to start blogging, when there are plenty of options available out there. Which is a better option for blogging? blogger vs WordPress ? The most applicable decision initially is to pick a platform to build a blog, which means selecting between blogger and WordPress.
Blogger is a simple service that enables you to create and publish your content online. On the other hand, WordPress is a content management system (CMS) for creating websites. Each has its own unique pros and cons, which you want to be aware of before selecting any one. In this article we will help you decide which one is better according to your needs. We will be introducing you to the blogger and WordPress and will also discuss their benefits and disadvantages of BlogSpot vs WordPress to help you selecting the right one.
Blogger vs WordPress: Which blogging platform to choose for starting a blog?
As the name recommends, Blogger platform is very useful when you just want to start a blog and share your thought. When one is not blogging for money, or needs a basic platform that do not require any technical knowledge then blogger that is BlogSpot is a very good. All you will require is to make a free profile, which requires a Google account. At that point, you can build a new blog immediately.
One can select from a variety of templates to determine their blog presence and layout, also give it a title and select a URL. After that you will get access to the simple dashboard.
In the dashboard you will be creating posts, adding pages to your blog, can see and respond to comments and also perform other simple blog related tasks. Here whatever you add or change content it will be immediately updated on your live website.
As Blogspot can be used just for blogs, WordPress.org is a full content management system. That is, it is a platform designed to help you build content online. Blogging with WordPress gives you the full control over your blog and one can technically do anything to their blog. You can host your own files and can design they way you like. You will also have full control over the SEO including the SEO plugins for making your blog more SEO friendly.
That is, one can create any type of website they want. WordPress begin as a blogging platform. Like Blogspot, WordPress is also free, but it will not host your blog for you. You will have to pick a hosting plan and choose a domain name, after which you can install and set up your WordPress site.
After that you will be able to access the WordPress admin dashboard.
In blogging with WordPress, one can create posts and pages for their blogs, you can edit its settings, add other users and son on. Just like blogger, you can use templates for your website’s layout and appearance, also there are many other options to choose from.
Moreover, you can download and install plugins to include a wide range of features to your blog, for example, including a basic contact form, providing functionality to enable you to rank better in search engines, or also adding eCommerce functionality to your webpage.
Given below are the benefits and disadvantages of blogger vs WordPress:
Benefits of Blogger:
- It is really easy and basic to start with; one can create their blog within minutes.
- Here you will be able to learn to use all the primary features and how to create content.
- With blogger, you will not need any hosting plan.
- While limited, there are possibilities for personalizing your blogs.
Disadvantages of Blogger:
- This blogger platform functionality is very simple and one cannot do much beyond creating a simple blog and posting their content.
- Features are limited, as many blogger’s complaint about the post editing options and minimal commenting options.
- One cannot fully own their content as it’s all on Google’s servers.
Benefits of WordPress:
- Blogging with WordPress, gives you a lot more control over the look, feel and content you publish on your blog.
- WordPress is easy to learn even for the beginners, especially if you are using it for something simple.
- With WordPress there are hundreds and thousands of customization options available in the form of a plugin and templates, allowing you to shape your site into any type of website or blog you want.
- When compared between blogger vs WordPress, with WordPress you will have your own domain name which will look more professional than a blogspot.com sub domain that you get from a blogger.
Disadvantages of WordPress:
- The technical requirements used to run a self-hosted WordPress blog are a little more advanced than those required for a platform like blogger. Here requires a small investment, that is you will have to pay for the hosting.
- You will be responsible for your site to ensure that it performs well and is secure.
From the above given points, you will have a clear idea about where both platforms shine and fall short. Now, let’s see how to select which one is best for you.
How to select between BlogSpot vs WordPress?
BlogSpot is for those who want to create a blog and running immediately. If all you want is a simple hobby blogging platform, then this may be the right choice for you. With this blogspot you don not have to worry about hosting or any other technical considerations, also you do not have to pay anything to get your log started. But you have limited options to customize your blogs. In the event that you need your blog to be a part of a larger website, for example, a business website, a portfolio, or a store, then Blogger won't give the features you will require.
Thus, we recommend blogging with WordPress, for the users who want to create a new blog. The start up expenses are very few, it is beginner friendly and setup is really fast. But, even if you just want to create a basic blog right now, WordPress is the best option. With WordPress you can expand your site in the future and can also add new features to it. With WordPress you have everything you want for creating a blog or a website.
We hope this comparison of BlogSpot vs WordPress helped you understand the benefits and disadvantages of both to help you in making the right decision for your business.